Meet Celebrity Makeup Artist Larry Yeo!
E X C L U S I V E I N T E R V I E W : 1 3 R U S H E S X L A R R Y Y E O
With a keen eye for detail, natural artistic flair and a delicate touch, it’s no wonder that after a mere three years as a freelance makeup artist, Larry Yeo took home Elle Singapore’s prestigious Makeup Artist of the Year award in 2009 and 2012. He earned his stripes working on the retail floors of Clinique and MAC before building a name for himself in the beauty industry.
In a frank and candid interview, we ask Larry about what he loves about his job, his motivations, common make up mistakes and his tips for aspiring make up artists.
1. YOU STUDIED BIOTECHNOLOGY, BUT NOW YOU’RE A MAKEUP ARTIST. HOW DID YOUR CAREER BEGIN IN THE WORLD OF BEAUTY?
By accident, I didn't want to go into biotech after NS, so I went into doing webpage maintenance with Straits Times Interactive as well as Clinique as a beauty advisor.
2.HOW HAS YOUR BACKGROUND IN BIOTECHNOLOGY AND COSMETIC SCIENCE HELPED YOU IN YOUR CAREER?
It has opened my eyes to how technology has served to enhance the skincare and makeup industries. At the same time, my background in biotech has allowed me to sift out misleading illusionary marketing catchphrases.
3. WHERE DID YOU BEGIN YOUR TRAINING?
I began my training on the sales floor. I built up my foundations with Clinique and later trained under MAC. It's the floor experience that allowed me to understand the subtle interactions between textures and skin.
4. WHICH ASPECTS OF YOUR JOB DO ENJOY MOST?
I enjoy educating women and men about makeup artistry, and empowering them to understand their face structure and innate beauty.
5. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION?
Anything and everything. The sunset can trigger colours, emotional movies can trigger sensational application of colours, and even the personality of my client affects how i do his/her makeup.
6. WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU AS A MAKEUP ARTIST?
Empowering women always. To let them embrace their facial shape and who they can be.
7. DESCRIBE YOUR SIGNATURE LOOK AND TELL US WHAT IS IT ABOUT YOUR STYLE THAT SETS YOUR WORK APART FROM OTHER MAKEUP ARTISTS?
It's more about playing with textures on the face. Matte, sheen, satin, glow and radiance can be played upon the skin, bringing about new dimensions for clients so they will look amazing from any angle.
8. WHAT’S YOUR TOP TIP FOR THE GIRL AT HOME TRYING TO LOOK FRESH AND READY TO GO IN 10 MINUTES?
Understand your face shape. If you don't understand your face shape, be it 10 mins or 10 hours, your face will still look like a mess
9. WHAT ARE SOME COMMON BEAUTY MISTAKES MADE BY SINGAPOREAN WOMEN?
- That Korean brow ain't gonna work for your face shape.
- That K-pop pink/orange ain't suitable for you
- Powder Foundation never looks natural on face
- Stop over moisturizing in the humid weather
- Fill in your brows even though you cut hair bangs!
- Use a lip balm for your dry lips.
- The bright circle shape blush application makes you look silly.
10. WHICH CURRENT MAKE-UP TREND WOULD YOU LIKE TO DISAPPEAR?
TRANNY INSTA-BROWS and that supposed KIMK contour. The brows were drag queen brows done in the 1980's and that contouring method has been around for over 40 years, stop saying it is new.
11. HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT MAKEUP BRUSHES?
It is important as the cut and flow of the bristles varies the way makeup is deposited on the skin, affecting makeup application
12. WHICH BRUSHES DO YOU THINK SHOULD STAPLES IN EVERY WOMAN'S PURSE
Powder brush, Blush brush, Highlighting brush, Kabuki, Angled Brush for Brow, Fluffy eye shadow brush, flat eye shadow brush, pencil tip brush and a flat top lip brush.
13. WHAT MESSAGE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHER ASPIRING MAKEUP ARTISTS
Don't be just aspiring, instead be hungry for knowledge.
Graduation from a makeup school does not make you a makeup artist. You have to apply makeup, learn more and be thirsty. Without the hunger to learn makeup, you cannot go far in your career.
Talking too much or blabbering on will show that you are an empty vessel.
14. WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP FOR YOU IN YOUR CAREER?
Hopefully, I can do more shows globally and learn more. I would also like to work with brands as a consultant for production and come out with new makeup concepts.
15. WHAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON YOU HAVE LEARNT FROM YOUR CAREER?
Always learn from everyone, we have to learn to understand and love the job.
PROMOTIONS AND GIVEAWAYS
In celebration of Larry's birthday, we have lined up a series of exclusive giveaways and promotions from 20 april to 30 april. Find out more about the promotions here.
ALSO CHECK OUT
Larry's favourite brushes